Delaware's CDL manual and DMV CDL Practice Tests

for all endorsements

Delaware's CDL Manual

Commercial Driver Handbook

Getting A CDL In Delaware

Delaware administers its Commercial Driver's License through the Division of Motor Vehicles. Outlined here are the important things for a prospective CDL holder to know about obtaining a commercial driver's license from the State of Delaware.

What is Required to Qualify for a Delaware CDL?

To apply for a Delaware commercial driver's license, you'll need to:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Drivers under 21 years old will be restricted to operating commercial vehicles within DE only—called intrastate driving.
  • Have at least 1 year of driving experience.
  • Currently live in Delaware full-time.

Also, Delaware requires a medical certification:

  • A CDL driver must be physically qualified to operate a CMV. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has recently established medical certification guidelines that apply to all commercial learner permit and driver license holders and applicants.
  • All CLP/CDL holders must self certify their driving status as outlined in the Self Certification Category Guide. Based on the CDL holders self-certification status, that driver may be required to submit and maintain a copy of his/her federal medical certificate with the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles.
  • Those that are required to provide a copy of their medical certificate must submit a valid medical certificate prior to the expiration of the previous one on file at the DMV. Failure to maintain a valid federal medical certificate on file at the DMV will result in the CLP being denied or the CDL being downgraded to a non-commercial, Class D privilege only license.

DMV CDL Practice Tests

General Knowledge

The general knowledge test is the first of several tests that you will have to complete in order to get your CDL. The questions cover general information about commercial vehicles, driving, and vehicle inspections. The test has a total of 50 questions, and requires at least 40 correct answers to pass.

Air Brakes

You must have an Air brake endorsement on your driver's license to drive a vehicle equipped with an air brake system. This test will test your knowledge of the function, parts, and braking distance of air brakes. The test will consist of 25 questions, and at least 20 correct answers are needed to pass.


The combination endorsement allows you to drive a vehicle with a power unit and one trailer. This test will cover the "ins and outs" of operating articulated vehicles. The exam consists of 25 questions, and requires at least 20 correct to pass.

Hazardous Material

The Hazardous Material endorsement allows the driver to operate a vehicle containing items such as poisons, explosives, flammables, etc. You will also have to pass the TSA Hazardous Material Threat Assessment to get this endorsement. There are 30 questions, 24 correct required to pass.


The Tanker endorsement allows the driver to operate a vehicle weighing more than 26,000 pounds designed to transport any liquid or gaseous material within a tank that is permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle. There are 20 questions, 16 correct required to pass.

Doubles / Triples

The Doubles/Triples endorsement is required for drivers to pull 2 trailers (doubles) or 3 trailers (triples) connected to a single power unit. There are 20 questions on this test, and 16 correct answers are required to pass.


Bus drivers must have a commercial driver's license with a passenger endorsement in order to operate a vehicle which seats 16 or more, including the driver. There are 20 questions on this test, and 16 correct answers are required to pass.

School Bus

School Bus Endorsement is required for any driver who operates a school bus. After the permit tests the training can be only completed by a local school district. There are 20 questions on this test, and 16 correct answers are required to pass.

Pre Trip Inspection

The Pre-Trip exam is an oral exam where you are expected to check the vehicle parts to insure it is safe for road use. The amount of parts you need to check increase with the size of the vehicle, and by type of vehicle.